Assist with Dairy Farming Mating, Calving and Neonatal Care – Micro-credential
Level of study
Cost (incl GST)
Learners must be employed in the sector
*Non-funded fee: from $1,574.06. Please note, this fee will only apply for non-funded learners – learners who are not employed in the industry, do not meet the entry requirements of the programme, or are not classed as “domestic learners” under the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) funding rules. For more information, visit the TEC website here.
This micro-credential is suited for Farm Assistants, who want to develop their skills and knowledge in dairy farming.
Topics covered include:
- Mating management and understanding the tools that support a successful mating programme
- Assisting with parturition management, understanding of birthing presentation and animal records
- Monitoring body condition score (BCS) of pregnant cows to ensure a successful start to the season
- Principles of rearing young stock including the importance of colostrum, identification, and welfare practices.
This micro-credential takes 5 months to complete.
Learners are required to attend 4 workshop days.
Graduates will be able to:
- describe livestock reproduction
- assist with livestock mating and mating management
- assist with parturition
- assist with livestock neonatal care and weaning.