New Zealand Certificate in Agriculture - Dairy Farming
Level of study
Cost (incl GST)
Learners must be employed in the sector and with a minimum 12 months’ experience on a farm.
*May be eligible for Government Support including Fees Free. Learn more here.
Non-funded fee: from $8,341.09. Please note, this fee will only apply for non-funded learners – learners who are not employed in the industry, do not meet the entry requirements of the programme, or are not classed as “domestic learners” under the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) funding rules. For more information, visit the TEC website here.
This comprehensive qualification is ideal for Farm Assistants. It gives learners solid knowledge of on-farm tasks and prepares them for activities throughout the farming year.
- assist with operating dairy effluent management systems
- assist with mating, calving and neonatal care
- health, wellbeing and biosecurity
- livestock feed supply and demand
- assist with milk harvesting and optimising milk quality.
The first topic will depend on the season and the full programme takes 20 months.
When learners finish the programme, they will be able to work under limited supervision and take responsibility for their duties and work outcomes.
- work as an effective member of a farming team by maintaining own health and wellbeing, communicating with team members and stakeholders, contributing to financial efficiency, and using appropriate technology
- assist with soil and pasture management activities in a livestock production context
- assist with implementing livestock feeding plans to meet production requirements
- assist with mating and parturition of farmed livestock over a mating and parturition season
- assist with the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of livestock health problems
- milk animals, maintaining hygiene and animal welfare
- assist with cleaning and maintaining the milking plant and farm dairy to maintain optimum milk quality
- assist with identifying milk quality problems and implementing solutions to those problems
- assist with dairy environmental management
- assist with young stock rearing.