New Zealand Certificate in Equine Skills
Level of study
Learners must be employed in the sector.
Learners will understand the essential fundamentals of caring for horses, from day-to-day care routines, through to understanding horse behaviour and how to become an effective part of their equine team.
Suitable for those working in an equine facility with little or no prior experience with horses.
At the end of this programme, learners will be able to:
- participate as part of a team in an equine workplace
- care for horses in stables and/or yards under close supervision
- prepare horses for travel, load and unload under close supervision
- care for a group of horses in the paddock or yards
- apply knowledge of health and ill health of horses and procedures to follow in an emergency
- carry out routine minor maintenance of horse paddocks and/or equine facilities under close supervision.