Tree Felling Techniques Using a Chainsaw in a Pest Control or Primary Sector Environment - Micro-Credential
Level of study
Cost (incl GST)
Learners must be employed in the sector and unit 6917 (demonstrate basic chainsaw operation; or demonstrate equivalent knowledge and skills).
*Non-funded fee from: $1,473.73. Please note, this fee will only apply for non-funded learners – learners who are not employed in the industry, do not meet the entry requirements of the programme, or are not classed as “domestic learners” under the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) funding rules. For more information, visit the TEC website here.
Designed to provide learners with the skills and knowledge needed to prepare for and fell trees using a chainsaw as part of a wilding pines pest control programme, or in other primary sector environments where trees need to be removed.
Personal requirements for tree felling operations:
- tree felling equipment and accessories
- risks, control methods and special precautions
- work site and tree assessment and escape route
- felling cuts over 20cm diameter
- retreating and observing process
- cutting methods
- difficult situations requiring specialist skills and techniques.
Prepare for felling trees with a chainsaw:
- personal requirements
- associated risks
- felling plan, factors and impacts
- tree, work area preparation and escape route
- felling techniques
- retreat and observe
- alternative back-cutting technique.
Graduates will be able to:
- describe personal requirements for tree-felling operations
- demonstrate knowledge of risks associated with tree-felling
- demonstrate knowledge of the five-step felling plan
- demonstrate knowledge of tree-felling techniques
identify difficult tree-felling situations and associated specialist techniques
- prepare for felling trees with a chainsaw
- assess the site around the tree to be felled
- assess the tree to be felled
- prepare the work area and escape route
- safely fell trees using basic felling techniques
- retreat and observe the tree felling
- demonstrate alternative back-cutting techniques.