New Zealand Apprenticeship in Wine Growing
Level of study
Level 3 and Level 4
Cost (incl GST)
Learners must be employed in the sector.
*May be eligible for Government Support including Fees Free. Learn more here
Ideal for learners who are currently working in the industry with some general work experience and have a desire to develop a career in Viticulture. Skills will allow learners to work in a self-managed capacity with some responsibility for other staff and have an overview of key aspects of viticulture operations.
This programme takes 28 months to complete and learners can start anytime.
Level 3 topics include:
- work and communicate with a team and apply safe work practices
- describe the NZ wine industry and common wines
- assist with technical viticultural activities
- carry out seasonal growing activities, such as:
- canopy maintenance
- harvest operations
- maintain infrastructure and trellis systems
- operate and maintain vineyard equipment
- understand agrichemical requirements.
Level 4 topics include:
- supervise and provide instruction to team members using a range of effective communication and interpersonal skills relevant to a horticulture sector
- implement and monitor sustainable wine growing operations to achieve grape quality specifications
- implement and monitor a sustainable wine grape protection programme to achieve grape quality specifications
- monitor and assess sustainable wine growing techniques to achieve desirable wine quality.