New Zealand Apprenticeship in Apiculture
Level 3 and Level 4
Level of study
Level 3 and Level 4
Cost (incl GST)
20 months. Start anytime. 3-5 day block course each year.
Learners must be employed in the sector.
* Programme part of Government’s Free Trades Training initiative which may mean a subsidised price.
This comprehensive programme is for people in the commercial apiculture industry who need the skills and knowledge in everything from the fundamentals of beekeeping, to managing a viable business.
Graduates of this programme can work independently or in commercial operations in a variety of roles.
This programme takes 20 months to complete, learners can start anytime and will be required to attend a 3-5 day block course each year.
At the end of this programme, graduates will be capable of working under limited supervision with responsibility for work outcomes, and will be able to:
- understand the bee lifecycle
- carry out wintering down of bee hives
- understand bee feed requirements, assess the hives and feed bees
- extract honey and carry out honey harvesting
- understand which plants provide feed for bees and harvest declarations
- understand how to re-queen a beehive
- understand swarming and how to unite and divide beehives
- construct and repair beehives
- transport beehives
- understand endemic bee pests and diseases
- carry out apiary pest and disease management plans.
At the end of this programme, graduates will have the capability to be responsible for the following work outcomes and will be able to:
- implement and monitor a seasonal beehive management plan
- implement and monitor a beehive nutritional management plan
- describe nutritional requirements and feeding regimes
- understand the role of bees in pollination
- understand the role of flowering plants
- understand significant exotic bees, diseases, disorders, pests and bee management practices
- implement and monitor a bee disease management plan
- understand the production processes for beehive products
- implement and monitor food safety procedures
- analyse beehive management and make recommended improvements
- analyse pest and disease management plans and recommend improvements.