New Zealand Certificate in Apiculture
Level of study
Cost (incl GST)
10 months. Start anytime. Includes a five day block course.
Learners must be employed in the sector.
*Non-funded fee: from $3,572.48. Please note, this fee will only apply for non-funded learners – learners who are not employed in the industry, do not meet the entry requirements of the programme, or are not classed as “domestic learners” under the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) funding rules. For more information, visit the TEC website here.
Developed in conjunction with Apiculture New Zealand.
This programme is suitable for senior apiarists with management responsibilities.
Learners will understand how to manage a variety of work outcomes including developing and implementing management plans, food safety procedures and a business strategy.
This programme takes 10 months to complete and you can start anytime.
The optimal start time is Autumn and learners will be required to attend a five day block course.
Graduates will be able to:
- implement and monitor a seasonal beehive management plan
- implement and monitor a beehive nutritional management plan
- describe nutritional requirements and feeding regimes
understand the role of bees in pollination
- understand significant exotic bees, diseases, disorders, pests and bee management practices
- understand the role of flowering plants
- develop, implement and monitor a bee disease management plan
- understand the production processes for beehive products
- implement and monitor food safety procedures
- analyse beehive management and make recommended improvements
- analyse pest and disease management plans and recommend improvements.