New Zealand Apprenticeship in Horticulture Services - Amenity
Level 3 and Level 4
Level of study
Level 3 and Level 4
Cost (incl GST)
34 months. Start anytime.
Learners must be employed in the sector.
*Vehicle, machinery and agri-chemical units available at an additional cost. Programme part of Government’s Free Trades Training initiative which may mean a subsidised price.
This programme is for those who have general horticulture experience, want a career in horticulture, love being outdoors, and are passionate about garden maintenance and plants.
Amenity horticulture is about growing, establishing and managing gardens and public spaces to create vibrant spaces we can all enjoy.
This programme takes 34 months to complete and learners can start anytime.
Learners can do the New Zealand Apprenticeship in Amenity either as a composite level 3 and 4 programme, or level 4 only.
Graduates will have the skills to:
- work as an effective member of a team
- carry out routine maintenance of parks and open spaces
- operate machinery for amenity work
- demonstrate understanding of factors influencing plant growing cycles and basic soil science
- identify and report signs of weeds, plant pests, diseases, and disorders
- carry out plant pests and disease control
- carry out routine maintenance of plants and gardens
- identify amenity plants
- supervise and provide instruction to team members using a range of effective communication and interpersonal skills relevant to a horticulture sector
- interpret, prepare, implement and monitor a seasonal management plan for an amenity site, including;
- how plants adapt to different environments
- soil management methods for a horticulture site
- amenity turf botany, and turf management
- evaluate, prune, and train amenity trees or shrubs
- methods of environmental sustainability in a horticulture organisation, including legislation
- plant classification in horticulture
- work programme across operational areas on an amenity site.