New Zealand Certificate in Horticulture Services – Amenity
Level of study
Cost (incl GST)
Learners must be employed in the sector.
* Vehicle, machinery and agri-chemical units available at an additional cost. May be eligible for Government Support including Fees Free. Learn more here.
Non-funded fee: from $4,158.11. Please note, this fee will only apply for non-funded learners – learners who are not employed in the industry, do not meet the entry requirements of the programme, or are not classed as “domestic learners” under the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) funding rules. For more information, visit the TEC website here.
For those who love being outdoors, and are passionate about garden maintenance and plants. Amenity horticulture is about growing, establishing and managing gardens and public spaces to create vibrant spaces we can all enjoy.
Learners will explore the detail and science on the care of parks and open spaces, and understand growing cycles and the impact of weeds, pests and disease. Learners will get hands-on experience maintaining plants and learning to safely operate machinery.
Learners can complete this programme as the first year of a New Zealand Apprenticeship.
Graduates will have the skills to:
- work as an effective member of a team including communication and interaction with team members and colleagues
- demonstrate knowledge of workplace health and safety
- carry out routine care of parks and open spaces
- operate machinery for amenity work
- demonstrate an understanding of factors influencing plant growing cycles and basic soil science
- identify and report signs of weeds, plant pests, diseases, and disorders
- carry out plant pests and disease control
- carry out routine maintenance of plants and gardens
- identify amenity plants.