New Zealand Apprenticeship in Equine Breeding
Level of study
Learners must be employed in the sector.
The New Zealand Apprenticeship in Equine Breeding is the only programme of its kind in New Zealand and is tailored to meet industry needs. It combines comprehensive theory and practical work based training, to provide learners with the skill and knowledge to secure jobs in the industry.
Topics covered are
Implement and monitor:
- stud farm breeding programme and teasing
- foaling, post foaling activities, foal development
- foal development
- educating weanlings to yearlings and managing health and nutrition
- pasture and feed management
- health and safety plan for a workplace.
- equine physiology and psychology
- fostering orphan foals
- managing conformation faults
- evaluation of the thoroughbred
- evaluating potential and practical aspects of genetics
- evaluating pasture production methods.