New Zealand Certificate in Horticulture – Nursery Production
Level of study
Cost (incl GST)
Learners must be employed in the sector.
* Vehicle, machinery and agri-chemical units available at an additional cost.
Non-funded fee from: $4,122.75. Please note, this fee will only apply for non-funded learners – learners who are not employed in the industry, do not meet the entry requirements of the programme, or are not classed as “domestic learners” under the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) funding rules. For more information, visit the TEC website here.
Learners will explore more of the detail and science around steering nursery plants to a robust and healthy outcome, be hands on, learning about machinery operation and workflow management. Learners will also be able to identify diseases and pests, and how to give and get the best through great teamwork.
The programme includes four off-job tutorial days (excluding vehicles and GrowSafe).
This qualification is available as part of a New Zealand Apprenticeship in Nursery Production.
Graduates will be capable of working under limited supervision with responsibility for work outcomes and will be able to:
- work as an effective member of a team including communication and interaction with team members and colleagues
- carry out routine plant care tasks in nursery production
- operate machinery for nursery work
- demonstrate understanding of workflow management in a horticulture production operation
- demonstrate understanding of factors affecting plant growing cycles and basic soil science
- identify and report signs of weeds, plant pests, diseases, and disorders
- carry out control of plant pests and diseases, including safe use of agri-chemicals
- pack and despatch nursery products.