New Zealand Certificate in Horticulture Services – Arboriculture
Level of study
Cost (incl GST)
Was $943, now $471.50*
15 months. Start anytime.
Learners must be employed in the sector.
*Get up to 50% off fees in 2024, only applies to funded learner fees. Learn more here.
May be eligible for Government Support including Fees Free. Learn more here.
Non-funded fee: from $4,697.84. Please note, this fee will only apply for non-funded learners – learners who are not employed in the industry, do not meet the entry requirements of the programme, or are not classed as “domestic learners” under the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) funding rules. For more information, visit the TEC website here.
Learners will master how to conduct a visual tree assessment, identify amenity tree health problems, and expand on climbing, felling and pruning techniques.
This can be completed as the second half of the arboriculture apprenticeship.
The programme takes 16 months to complete and learners can start anytime.
There are 5 off-job tutorial days.
By the end of their training, graduates will have learned the skills to:
- supervise and provide instruction to team members using a range of effective communication and interpersonal skills relevant to an unsupervised, working arborist
- climb difficult trees, branch walk and undertake aerial rescue above 15 metres
- prune mature amenity trees
- demonstrate an understanding of soil properties and their effect on plant growth
- maintain a chainsaw
- identify amenity tree health problems
- identify and present trees found in arboriculture situations
- conduct visual tree assessments
- undertake sectional felling in arboriculture tree work
- use advanced rigging and arboriculture tree work
- use advanced felling techniques in arboriculture.