New Zealand Certificate in Dairy Processing
Level of study
14 - 16 months
Learners must be employed in the sector and must engage in training via their employer.
Developed with industry input, the Dairy Processing Level 3 programme is suitable for relatively new staff with three to six months of experience in a processing plant. The programme has eight compulsory topics that cover essential knowledge, along with 6 optional topics that your business can pick and choose to suit your operation. Optional topics include environmental processes, food safety using Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) systems, carrying out routine maintenance and process improvements.
There are two optional strands available Automated Cleaning and Heat Treatment which will develop knowledge of automated cleaning in place and basic heat treatment requirements.
This programme takes 14 - 16 months to complete and employees can start anytime.
Graduates of this programme will be able to:
- operate plant and equipment to carry out basic dairy processing operations to achieve operating standards
- apply dairy processing quality assurance requirements including those related to hygiene and food handling to work in a dairy processing operation
- comply with workplace safety, environmental, and sustainability requirements in a dairy processing operation
- work in a team in a dairy processing operation.
Graduates of the Automated Cleaning and Heat Treatment strands will also be able to:
- comply with automated clean-in-place requirements in a dairy processing operation
- comply with basic heat treatment requirements in a dairy processing operation.