Safe Use of Chainsaws in a Pest Control or Primary Sector Environment - Micro-credential
Level of study
Cost (incl GST)
Learners must be employed in the sector.
* Programme part of Government’s Free Trades Training initiative which may mean a subsidised price. Get in touch to learn more.
Suitable for those working with chainsaws. Learners will be set up with the knowledge, skills, rules and requirements to operate a chainsaw safely in a primary industry environment and/or as part of a wilding pines pest control programme.
This programme consists of a two-day workshop and is designed to enable the recognition of entry level skills and knowledge needed within chainsaw operations.
Rules for chainsaw use:
- safety features
- maintenance and operation
- transport of flammable liquids in vehicles
- PPE and equipment
- first aid.
Using a chainsaw:
- condition of chainsaw, testing and basic starting techniques
- disassemble and reassemble chainsaw
- risks and reactive forces
- kickback, causes and control
- pre-start checks
- starting location checked
- approved starting method used
- chainsaw checked for operating condition
- plan and carry out basic cuts.
At the end of this programme, learners should be able to:
- describe of the rules for chainsaw use
- describe rules relating to the transport and use of chainsaw fuel
- describe PPE and first aid requirements for chainsaw operators
- disassemble and reassemble a chainsaw, identify its components, and explain their functions
- describe the factors that influence the operation of a chainsaw
- prepare to operate a chainsaw
- start and test a chainsaw
- use a chainsaw to make cuts.